Chemicals & Materials Now!
From basic to specialty, and everything in between
Time to Start Thinking Strategically About EHS Risk
Posted on March 25th, 2016 by Regina Javier in Chemical R&D
Some days, chemical companies probably feel as though it’s raining regulations. The deluge of regulatory considerations, rushing in from all sides, and differing significantly from country to country can make it difficult for even the most diligent company to remain compliant.
As industry stakeholders know, being prepared for environmental health and safety (EHS) risks and regulatory constraints is crucial, because if you fail to do so, you may be facing penalties, delayed production, insurance premium hikes and litigation costs – all of which are bad for the bottom line.
The article “Making It Work: Ideas for Improving EHS Risk Mitigation in R&D Amidst Increasing Regulation” by Elsevier R&D Solutions makes the case that now, more than ever, is the time for company leaders and R&D heads to identify or revisit strategies that will help keep their pipelines moving on schedule and producing successful products, especially as key regulatory changes such as the TSCA reform come into effect.
The article’s suggested ideas include:
- Making transparency a priority from the very start, during the early phases of new product development
- Implementing information strategies and systems that make it possible for R&D and engineering staff to immediately draw on technical information data, covering everything from chemical properties to research and regulations
- Putting risk management plans in place that are based on solid scientific information, while also considering factors like available technology and potential regulatory challenges
- Encouraging collaborative efforts between chemists, engineers and EHS professionals to help identify risks and solutions
Read the full article to get more ideas about these areas of opportunity.
All opinions shared in this post are the author’s own.
R&D Solutions for Chemicals & MaterialsWe're happy to discuss your needs and show you how Elsevier's Solution can help.
Strategic Communications Director for Elsevier R&D Solutions
- Guidelines for Multinationals Expanding Chemical R&D in China
- Bringing a Business Mindset to R&D
- Is today’s non-stick cookware safe?
- Samsung Galaxy Note 7: A fiery phone story with a good ending!
- Learning from Experience: Near Misses