Chemicals & Materials Now!
From basic to specialty, and everything in between
Protect your business and safety goals with a proactive approach to corrosion problems
Posted on October 23rd, 2017 by Matt Weber in Chemical Manufacturing Excellence
Corrosion is a dangerous and exceedingly costly problem. A Nace International study currently puts the global cost estimated to repair corrosive effects at around $2.5 trillion per year. In addition to causing everyday problems, corrosion puts company resources, employee safety, and facilities at risk, and causes material waste, plant shutdowns, contamination and costly maintenance. According to an Associated Press analysis of over 600,000 U.S. bridges, results showed that more than 65,000 were classified as “structurally deficient” and 20,808 as “fracture critical.” The Flint, Michigan water crisis? A story of corrosion.
Since there are many types of corrosion, methods to prevent and solve corrosion problems can take a number of forms, depending on the circumstances of the material being corroded. And, while some corrosion issues can be harder to diagnose and overcome than others, in many situations, corrosion can be managed, slowed or stopped if engineers have access to the right answers, insights, and foresight. Quite often, businesses take a ‘damage control’ approach to corrosion issues, when it’s clear that a proactive approach – managing corrosion before it becomes a serious problem – is a wise investment that can save companies billions of dollars.
Introducing the Knovel Corrosion Page: Resources to help engineers overcome corrosion issues
Corrosion is the most searched-for term among oil and gas engineers using Knovel, and one of the top ten search terms among chemistry professionals overall. Engineers rely on Knovel to deliver trusted, vetted best practice guidelines, relevant engineering answers and insights, case studies, property data, and more, so they can confidently control and prevent corrosion problems. With this in mind, The Knovel team has developed a Corrosion Page, packed with vital information and links to other resources to help engineers manage corrosion problems before they become a serious problem. These resources include:
Customer stories: Knovel helps engineering customers prevent and solve corrosion-related issues
- Learn how a non-conventional Oil and Gas company used Knovel to prevent corrosion in shale gas equipment
- Hear how an R&D executive at a chemical manufacturing company used Knovel to prevent corrosion in a pressure vessel
Webinar: Effective material selection to help prevent corrosion
Sign up for our November 1 webinar and learn how you can make materials choices that help prevent corrosion-related failures.
Coming Soon! Check back soon to discover:
More customer stories:
- Discover how Knovel helped a zirconium manufacturer prevent a corrosion issue in a pollution control system’s pipes, thereby avoiding potential HSE issues
- Learn how an oil and gas company used Knovel to address corrosion issues, optimize boiler efficiency, and avoid a $90,000 retrofitting
Our upcoming whitepaper provides a guideline on how to prevent corrosion during the material selection process.
We hope you’ll bookmark this page and check back often to discover even more resources on how Knovel can help you avoid and overcome corrosion problems.
All opinions shared in this post are the author’s own.
R&D Solutions for Chemicals & MaterialsWe're happy to discuss your needs and show you how Elsevier's Solution can help.
Senior Manager of Strategic Segment Marketing - Chemicals
Connect on LinkedIn
Follow on Twitter
- How Corrosion Impacts Operations and How to Mitigate the Effects
- Identifying the Right Material to Resist Corrosion
- Diagnosing and Fixing Corrosion in Boilers at a Refinery
- Solving mysterious corrosion in a pressure vessel
- Avoiding Corrosion-Related Failures by Choosing the Right Materials